Learning a new language has countless advantages. By learning to communicate with another part of the world, you can open doors to new cultures, cuisines, traditions and professions. Choosing which language to learn can be a difficult choice for some, but for many the ideal choice is Portuguese. Here are just a few reasons to learn this coveted language:
1. Learning Portuguese will help you to learn other languages such as French, Spanish and Italian. As Portuguese is arguably the most challenging neo-Latin language to learn, it’s the best one to start with.
2. Portuguese grammar is similar to English – the order of sentences and verb formations are similar, taking you one step closer to understanding the language before you’ve even started learning.
3. Understanding Portuguese will allow you to explore the world. Whilst it is the 7th most spoken language in the world in terms of native speakers, Portuguese is the official language of 9 countries, spanning 4 of the 5 continents. Once you learn Portuguese, you can communicate with native speakers from countries around the globe, including Brazil, Portugal, Angola, Cape Verde, Mozambique and Macau.
4. Portuguese can help you reach new professional heights. As it is not widely taught as a second language in the English-speaking world, knowledge of Portuguese is a sought-after quality in many international organisations.
5. You can find new opportunities to work abroad. Sao Paolo is South America’s business capital, with an array of multinational companies already firmly established in the area, including, IBM, Honda and Samsung. As there are a relatively small number of English-speakers in Brazil compared to the size of the population, there are many opportunities for bi-lingual professionals from the English-speaking world.
At inlingua Edinburgh, we offer a range of European and Brazilian Portuguese classes to suit all levels from Beginners Portuguese to Advanced. All lessons are led by fully qualified, native Portuguese-speaking trainers in small groups with a maximum of 10 students per class.
For companies interested in Portuguese courses for their employees, we can arrange private or group tuition, either from our school on Shandwick Place or at your office. We also offer bespoke Portuguese translation services from fully certified, professional translators.