Edinburgh is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world with unique attractions such as Edinburgh Castle and the world-renowned Edinburgh festivals bringing millions to the city each year. But what is it like to live and study here over a longer period of time? Here are just a few of the reasons why Edinburgh is the perfect choice for long-term study:
1. Scottish education is highly respected throughout the world and there are plenty of opportunities for international students to continue their studies at one of Edinburgh’s four highly respected universities, including the prestigious University of Edinburgh.
2. Edinburgh is a safe and compact city. Last year it was voted the UK’s safest city in a YouGov poll and you can reach almost anywhere in the city centre on foot.
3. It’s an ideal place to meet new people. With over 37,000 students in Edinburgh, there are countless opportunities to meet with like-minded people. The city offers great student nightlife and you will often find special student deals for eating out, gym memberships, shopping and much more.
4. There are great sporting and cultural events all year round featuring comedy, theatre, literature, film, dance, music, rugby, football, ice hockey and tennis.
5. Edinburgh is the number one festival city in the world with over 20 taking place each year. In August, thousands of performers flock to the city to showcase their work at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe – the largest arts festival in the world.
6. It’s cheaper than London. According to Expatisan.com, the cost of living in Edinburgh is currently 33% cheaper than London!
7. There’s always something new to discover. You can find out about most things happening in Edinburgh through This is Edinburgh or The List. With weird and wonderful events organised all year round, you’ll never be short of things to do!
8. It’s the perfect combination of modernity, culture and nature. The centre of Edinburgh is a lively multicultural hub steeped in beautiful architecture and history and surrounded by nature in the form of mountains valleys and lochs.
9. Edinburgh is frequently voted as the UK’s favourite city and one of the most beautiful cities in the world. A survey last year also showed that Edinburgh’s residents are the happiest in Britain!
10. It’s the experience of a lifetime! By studying in Edinburgh for a long term, you will be able to truly immerse yourself in Scottish culture and leave with amazing memories and lifelong friends from Edinburgh and around the world!