June is the month of film in Edinburgh with the International Film Festival just around the corner! Film in the City kicks off the celebrations this year with a fun-filled weekend of entertainment. The main festival will begin on 17th June but This is Edinburgh has organised an early cinematic celebration which everyone can enjoy for free throughout the capital. So take a seat and get ready to enjoy 23 movies!
Get on your dancing shoes… In partnership with Dance Base, the first weekend of Film in the City will be a dance-along extravaganza with interactive dance workshops and events, and screenings of many musical favourites. The two-day musical extravaganza will take place at the Grassmarket on Saturday 6th and Sunday 7th June with family friendly favourites like Happy Feet and sure-fire floor fillers like Dirty Dancing and Mamma Mia. This is the one weekend of film that is bound to get you moving.
Saturday 6th June
- 11.30am: Happy Feet (Cert U) – 108 minutes
- 1.50pm: West Side Story (Cert PG) – 152 minutes
- 4.30pm: Grease 2 (Cert PG) – 115 minutes
- 7.15pm: Dirty Dancing (Cert 12) 100 minutes
Sunday 7th June
- 12.00am: Mary Poppins (Cert U) – 139 minutes
- 2.50pm: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Cert U) – 102 minutes
- 5pm: Step Up (Cert PG) – 104 minutes
- 7.15pm: Mamma Mia (Cert PG) – 108 minutes
More than 400 seats will be available but you’re welcome to come with your own rugs, blankets and pillows. You are also allowed to bring your own food and drinks to the festival (you can bring alcohol but no glass bottles!). Snacks and refreshments will also be available on the day from one of the many wonderful cafés, bars and restaurants in the Grassmarket area.
ST. ANDREWS SQUARE
The second weekend will bring blockbuster classics to St Andrews Square Garden, from Friday 12th to Sunday 14th June. Bring a picnic and some popcorn and enjoy the open air action in the comfort of your own city!
Friday 12th June
- 5pm: Flash Gordon (Cert PG) – 111 minutes
- 7pm: Guardians of the Galaxy (Cert 12) – 121 minutes
- 9.15pm: Raiders of the Lost Ark (Cert 12) – 115 minutes
Saturday 13th June
- 10am: Lilo & Stitch (Cert U) – 85 minutes
- 11.45am: Brave (Cert PG) – 93 minutes
- 1.40pm: The Sound of Music (Cert U) – 174 minutes
- 4.45pm: Restless Natives (Cert PG) – 89 minutes
- 6.30pm: Life of Pi (Cert PG) – 127 minutes
- 9pm: Ghost (Cert 12A) – 127 minutes
Sunday 14th June
- 11am: The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! (Cert U) – 88 minutes
- 12.50pm: How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Cert PG) – 102 minutes
- 2.50pm: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Cert PG) – 100 minutes
- 4.50pm: The Princess Bride (Cert PG) – 98 minutes
- 6.50pm: Mean Girls (Cert 12A) – 97 minutes
- 8.50pm: Batman (Cert 15) – 126 minutes
No seating is provided but you’re welcome to come with your own rugs, blankets and pillows. You can also bring your own food and drink to the event, but alcohol is prohibited in St Andrew Square Garden. It’s also a good idea to bring something to protect you from the ground in case it’s damp.